CompTIA, a worldwide technology industry association, highlighted in their 2019 Cyberstates report that tech-related employment in Wyoming accounts for 3.5 percent of the total state workforce, or slightly more than 10,000 workers. While that number may not seem very high, the technology industry actually had an impressive estimated impact of $1.1 billion on the state's total economy.
In addition, the report noted that the Equality State saw an increase in job postings related to emerging technologies like smart cities, the Internet of Things, artificial intelligence, and augmented reality. These facts can be inspiring for students pursuing computer science degree programs in Wyoming as they indicate that they'll likely find employment in their field after graduation.
Wyoming's Technology Education Initiatives
To encourage technology education and IT programs in Wyoming, state government and education leaders have developed a number of initiatives designed to prepare younger students for the future, including potentially attending one of the IT schools in Wyoming. Here are a few examples of what's in place and what's planned:
- Developing standards in Wyoming schools: In late 2019, Wyoming plans to adopt the K through 12th computer science standards they developed in July 2019. These standards are intended to ensure students learn about computer science before they graduate.
- Offering computer science in all schools: The Boot Up Wyoming 2022 initiative is designed to help students learn a number of tech competencies, such as computer literacy, using technology in appropriate, responsible, and empowered ways, and learning computational thinking as a way to solve problems and design systems.
- Hosting annual technology seminars: The Wyoming Department of Education sponsors seminars every year such as Computer Science Education Task Force in order to introduce students to basic technology and coding schools in middle and high school.
Spotlight on Computer Sciences Schools in Wyoming
There are a number of computer science schools in Wyoming. However, these offer programs that are particularly noteworthy.
- Casper College: CC offers an associate of science degree program in cybersecurity. It aims to provide a solid foundation for students who hope to work as IT support specialists and consists of courses such as Computer Forensics, Internet Ethics and Cyber Law, and Network Defense Principles.
- University of Wyoming: At UW, students who enroll in the undergraduate degree program in computer science can choose to pursue concentrations such as big data, computers and business, and international engineering. Advanced degree programs in computer science are available as well.
- Western Wyoming Community College: Students who would like to earn their associate degree in computer science and eventually transfer to a bachelor's degree program can do so at Western. The school also offers certificate programs in digital design, website development, and computer science.
IT Salaries and Career Outlook in Wyoming
Software developers and computer science support specialists are among the Wyoming IT occupations that the Bureau of Labor Statistics projects to experience growth through 2028.
The Wyoming Medical Center may depend on these types of professionals to protect patient information and keep their operations running smoothly. In addition, Wyoming-based startups such as BlackFog, HealthPro, and RedCrox.com typically hire software developers and computer support specialists.
|Career||Annual Mean Wage|
|Computer Network Architects||$114,300|
|Computer Network Support Specialists||$60,020|
|Computer Systems Analysts||$68,610|
|Database Administrators and Architects||$58,370|
|Information Security Analysts||$79,010|
|Network and Computer Systems Administrators||$70,650|
|Software Developers and Software Quality Assurance Analysts and Testers||$87,510|
|Web Developers and Digital Interface Designers||$48,920|
Computer Science Scholarships for Wyoming Students
Students who are looking for ways to save money on computer science programs in Wyoming may apply for a program-specific scholarship such as:
- Tatman Family Scholarship: This award, administered through the University of Wyoming's College of Engineering & Applied Science, is available for eligible undergraduate and graduate computer science students.
Wyoming students may want to explore other scholarship opportunities through the scholarship database available on our partner site, Schools.com.
Wyoming Professional Organizations and Resources
These organizations and resources can be beneficial to students pursuing IT degree programs in Wyoming — for networking, continuing education and career information.
- Association for Computing Machinery- University of Wyoming Chapter: This chapter of ACM provides its student members with access to the leading publications, conferences, and career resources for the computing profession.
- Wyoming Women's Business Center: The WWBC's monthly roundtable meetings — in locations across the state — can provide good networking opportunities. Budding tech entrepreneurs can also participate in business start-up classes as well as other computer training opportunities.
- 2019 State of Computer Science Education, Code.org, Accessed October 2019, https://advocacy.code.org/2019_state_of_cs.pdf
- Association for Computing Machinery, University of Wyoming, Accessed November 2019, http://www.uwyo.edu/cosc/current_students/resources.html
- Best Tech Startups in Wyoming, The Tech Tribune, Accessed October 2019, http://thetechtribune.com/2-best-tech-startups-in-wyoming/
- Computer Science, University of Wyoming, Accessed November 2019, http://www.uwyo.edu/cosc/current_students/undergraduate-students/index.html
- Computer Science, Western Wyoming Community College, Accessed November 2019, https://www.westernwyoming.edu/academics/major-programs/computer-science/index.php
- Computer Science, Wyoming.Gov, Accessed November 2019, https://edu.wyoming.gov/in-the-classroom/technology/cs/
- Computer Science Education Task Force, Wyoming.Gov, Accessed November 2019, https://edu.wyoming.gov/in-the-classroom/technology/computer-science-education-task-force/
- Computer Science Scholarships, University of Wyoming, Accessed November 2019, http://www.uwyo.edu/ceas/resources/studentservices/scholarships/computer.html
- Cyber Security, A.S., Casper College, Accessed November 2019, http://catalog.caspercollege.edu/preview_program.php?catoid=18&poid=5691&returnto=17935#_ga=2.175650018.1710014238.1571604916-1716612666.1571604916
- New Report Details Employment, Economic Impact of Wyoming Tech Industry, CompTIA, Accessed November 2019, https://www.comptia.org/newsroom/press-releases/2019/03/26/new-report-details-employment-economic-impact-of-wyoming-tech-industry