Certified Wireless Network Professional (CWNP) was founded in 1999 to create a training and certification program covering the growing field of wireless networking technology. The CWNP program covers the 802.11 Wi-Fi standard in fine detail, while offering specializations in wireless network design, implementation, administration and security.
CWNP's training and certification program has grown significantly since it was first created. The organization has customers in over 150 countries worldwide, and offers training in a number of global locales. CWNP produces a number of training materials related to its certifications, including videos, whitepapers and the CWNP blog located on its website. It also offers an email newsletter that covers a gamut of Wi-Fi networking topics.
Types of certifications available to professionals
CWNP currently offers seven distinct certifications in its program. These certifications are classified by their associated difficulty and experience levels into one of the following categories:
All CWNP certifications are vendor neutral, meaning they are not tied to a specific manufacturer's wireless networking hardware or software products.
List of CWNP certifications
These are the current CWNP certifications, along with brief descriptions of the associated experience/difficulty levels and which disciplines they cover.
- Certified Wireless Technology Specialist (CWTS) -- an entry-level certification aimed at people who are relative newcomers to wireless networking technology
- Certified Wireless Network Administrator (CWNA) -- an administrator-level designation that covers advanced Wi-Fi technology, installing wireless networks and basic wireless network security
- Certified Wireless Security Professional (CWSP) -- a professional-level certification that specializes in wireless networking security; candidates must have already earned a CWNA certification
- Certified Wireless Design Professional (CWDP) -- a professional-level certification that covers advanced enterprise wireless network design; the CWNA certification is a prerequisite
- Certified Wireless Analysis Professional (CWAP) -- a professional-level certification for people responsible for analyzing, troubleshooting and optimizing wireless networks; a current CWNA certification is required
- Certified Wireless Network Expert (CWNE) -- an expert-level certification, the most-advanced designation in the CWNP program; candidates must have already earned the CWNA, CWSP, CWDP and CWAP certifications
- Certified Wireless Network Trainer (CWNT) -- an instructor certification meant for wireless networking experts who wish to teach official CWNP courses at an authorized CWNP Learning Partner
Information about examinations
All CWNP certification exams are available through Pearson VUE testing centers worldwide. Exam vouchers can be purchased from Pearson VUE, or from the online store on the CWNP website. CWNP exams are only available in English.
CWNP's exam retake policy is consistent with similar policies from other vendors. If a candidate does not pass an exam on their first attempt, they may retake it at any time that's available for booking. If the candidate does not pass the exam on the second attempt (or any future attempts), they must wait seven days before they may retake the exam.